Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Breathing Through Pudding

I've now officially had pneumonia for a month. I've had to take nearly three rounds of antibiotics to kill the bacteria in my lungs, and though I am almost finished with this last round of Avelox, I still feel like I am breathing through pudding made of acid--my lungs hurt and it feels like my back has been pummeled. I've been working out at least 3 times a week anyway, just huffing and wheezing harder and trying to keep my heart rate from skyrocketing. Slowing down so much makes me feel like I'm 70 during my workouts, but I figure that its important to keep active so my immune system will kick in at some point. Plus, I over ate after Thanksgiving (I love leftovers!) so I know I won't reach my weight loss goals unless I keep pushing myself to gain muscle and lose fat.
Speaking of Thanksgiving, my nose was so stuffy that I couldn't smell or really taste much, except for discerning texture, so I did fairly well at dinner that day because I wasn't hungry enough to overeat...and food isn't as appetizing when you can't enjoy the aroma of it cooking.
But I daresay our guests for the afternoon feast, Bill K and Anita,his significant other, seemed to enjoy the repast and the company, though, compared to their fancy condo in Seattle, our humble abode must look like a slum.
While shopping for the feast, I was actually hit on by a very nice older guy (as in someone in his 50s) in the beer aisle of the grocery store. He advised me as to which beer is most appropriate for dining with my husbands former boss, and flirted shamelessly for several minutes. It was quite refreshing, considering no one has flirted with me for about 20 years.
My son Nick celebrated his 8th birthday this past weekend, and had a Pokemon cake with 'eyeball" marshmallow ice cream. The ugly chocolate "eyeballs" in the ice cream were much coveted by Nicks buddies. They all played games at Noobs in Covington and had a splendid time. Today is Nicks actual birth date, though, so I am going to bring cupcakes to his classroom and read them all a story or two. I find it hard to believe that 8 years have gone by since I felt that little boys big baby foot cut through my cervix in an effort to escape his now-dry womb...he was such a tiny little fellow, all of 3.5 pounds, but he was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen when they wrapped him up and showed me his sweet face. What a miracle he was, and is, now that he's a big, strapping 80 pound child. I have a great deal to be thankful for, and when all the financial woes of my family start to get me down, I try to remember that. I also try to remember that I have friends who have recently lost someone they love, or are about to lose someone they love, and so far, knock wood, I haven't lost my parents or any of my immediate family.
Fortune favors the bold, they say, but I think fortune also favors those who have compassion for their fellow humans and want to believe the best of everyone they meet.

No comments: