Friday, April 11, 2008

The All Janice Week of Agony

I have to say that Janice is looking great these days, as she's going to compete next week in the Emerald Cup, the largest amateur bodybuilding competition in the nation. Those of us who didn't think she had any weight at all to lose on her muscular 5 ft frame have been astonished at the 20 pounds that has come off of her since January of this year.
She hasn't softened up at all when it comes to kicking out butts in exercise classes, however, and this whole week, which was spring break for the local schools, and hence vacation for all the usual WIO instructors.
That left Janice and Danielle to run all the classes every day, and I have no idea how Janice managed to do it without getting really sore and grumpy. But, she seemed just fine as she kicked our butts last night in kickboxing class. Janice is nothing if not consistent, and way more fit than anyone else on the planet.
Monday in cardio lift, Janice had us working out our shoulders and backs until we were all groaning. Then Tuesday's Pilates proved to be one long glute and abdominal exercise, while Wednesdays balls and weights was all about the squat and the harrowing of our hamstrings and quads. My lats still hurt and my Winne-the-Pooh abs have been sore and seizing up on me all week. Fortunately, today I had a doctors appointment and was able to miss class for the first time in 5 days (I took spin with Angela last Sunday). Now tomorrow I am weighing whether or not to go to Saturday surprise class and then also go to spin on Sunday, or to just sleep in and let myself have another day off. I should be out walking right now, because its the first beautiful, warm and sunny day that I've seen this year. But I just feel like being a slug, oddly enough.
I must note that my exercise is paying off in how I look to others, as when I flew back to Iowa this past week for my best friend's funeral, I got more male attention than I have in more than 20 years. My friend Roger called me "caliente" and was very complimentary about my looks in general, which was refreshing, as my husband tends to ignore me. It's nice to be oogled and viewed as sexy by the opposite gender. It made me feel young and alive. And I am certain that I wouldn't have lost 40 pounds and be looking as toned as I do had it not been for Work It Out Womens Fitness and their classes and boot camps.
Now if the next 60 pounds would just slip off of me, I could be all ready for my 30th high school reunion early. I am going to try to find a food plan that works better for me in keeping me from being hungry while still getting enough nutrition, and I need to shake my horrible sugar addiction.
I've had thoughts, prior to my Iowa trip, about just giving up and letting my body go back to its ponderous size. But then I think about how far I've come, and though I have still got a long way to go, I don't want to go back to struggling to find clothing that fits. I also feel as if I am strengthening my heart and adding years onto my life, years that I am going to need to raise my little boy to adulthood. As the sign says in the WIO gym, "It's not the years in your life, it's the life in your years!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.