Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Emotional STRESS Eating

What with the colonoscopy results back (my Crohns is getting worse, due to scarring, inflamation and granuloma), my husbands contract job ending in two weeks, and my son having minor surgery on an infected toe (He SCREAMED at the top of his lungs while the doctor shot anesthetic into four places in his red, swollen and aching appendage), not to mention the lack of work for freelance writers in this area and on the Internet, to say that I've been stressed and depressed would be an understatement.

Whenever I am under the gun, my adrenal glands pump out hormones that make me ravenous, and I eat like there is no tomorrow. Since I have been on my special food plan now for some months, I didn't want to totally blow it and gain a bunch of weight back, so I tried to 'binge healthy' and snarf down quantities of things that were not quite as bad for you as junk food from fast food restaurants, or candy, or an entire bag of kettle popcorn or chips...not that I have any experience with that kind of thing, you understand. ;)

So I ate half a bag of dates, which are sweet and chewy like caramel, and I supped last night on a soy cheese pizza, after a frightful afternoon listening to Nick scream and cry (and his father joined in after about two minutes) and seeing him realize that mommy can't always make the pain go away with a kiss. I had only a cup of popcorn when I recently attended a movie, but then I also ate a handful of Sour Patch Kids watermelon candies, something I haven't done before (and they made my Crohns flare like crazy the next day, too). Whenever I eat more than a small serving of any rich or fiberous food, however, twelve to fourteen hours later, my intestines rebel and I am left with pain and regrets for my gluttony.

Because we are, as many Americans, in a state of financial crisis, I've not been able to buy all the more expensive, healthy foods that I am supposed to eat, so I've also had to endure the censure of my nutritional guru, who doesn't seem to be affected by all the economic trauma around her. Its a stereotype, unfortunately with a basis in reality, that cheap food is usually carb and fat laden fare, without the spendy fresh or frozen fruits and veggies and lean meats or seafood.

I've felt like giving up the fight recently, and just going back to eating toast and tea all day. But I fight on, and continue to exercise 6 times a week, without fail, though it is harder to accomplish certain moves when your abdomen is rigid with pain. Better times are ahead, I believe, and the pendulum of pain will swing the other way, and I will find some peace and prosperity. That's the goal, anyway. Pray for me.

No comments: