Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Resolutions

"Why am I soft in the middle now when the rest of my life is so hard?" from Call Me Al by Paul Simon

I try not to make a lot of resolutions, generally, because I don't want to mess up and have to pick up the pieces by May, but this year is different. I am certain that there are great things on the horizon in 2009, and I feel a sense of optimism in the air after the long dark night of the soul (and wallet) that was 2008.
So herein are my 2009 Resolutions, to whit:

1)As the song says, I need a little less hard times, I need a little more bliss. I intend to do things this year that are purely for pleasure and fun, regardless of whether or not they fit in with the rest of my plans. I need to get out of mourning and into the joy of living. I don't know what it will take, whether it will be some travel to Scotland, some serious canoodling with my hubby, a few visits to Book It Rep Theater, or just a few more stacks of good books to read (and the time to read them in), but I will do whatever it takes to ease the frown lines on my face, the hollow point in my heart where my best friend used to be, and the eternal ache in my colon and lower back. Even teatime with my friend Janine will be more of a priority on my joy list this year. I want to laugh, sing and do my thing!

2) 53 pounds are coming off this upholstered belly, if I have to kidnap a liposuctionist to get it off! Seriously, I have the food plan in action, I have the work out schedule down to a science, now all I need is for my fat cells to cooperate.

3) I will try to be more loving and patient with my family. My husband is not an easy man to live with, and my son is just as frustrating, especially when it comes to doing his homework or getting to bed on time or getting up in the morning, or brushing his teeth...you get the idea. When I get frustrated with lack of cooperation, I get mad. Granted, I don't have a hair trigger temper, but once my ire is roused, I'm told I go off like Mt Vesuvius. I need to learn to chill out, take a deep breath and try to put it in perspective...will it matter in 10 years?

4) I will get my Crohns under control. So far its been a rough year for my intestines, but I insist that they get back to being quiescent and not forcing me to sit in the bathroom for hours on end. I am tired of staring at the broken tiles on the bathroom floor, and trying to read some excellent SF magazine stories to keep my mind off the pain. I am tired of pain pills that make me groggy and emotional. I want to be normal, or as close to it as possible. I want to do an ab crunch without breaking wind!


5)I want to see my mom and Lloyd this year, along with Jim and Nick, because they've not seen Nick for 5 years, and that's too long to not lay eyes on your only grandchild. He needs to connect with his grandparents before they pass away, and Lloyd is 90 years old. My dad is 76, and in poor health. I worry that they won't get a chance to see how Nick has grown if they don't do it soon.


That's about it! Remember, we'll all be fine in 2009!

No comments: