Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Wheels on the Bike Go Round and Round

So spin is beginning to suck, mainly because there is so much of it. There's no other classes in the evening, besides Pilates and Balls and Weights on Wednesdays (and the occaisional yoga class, but I just do NOT do yoga...can't twist this Winne the Pooh body into those positions, sorry), so if I want to get any exercise in, I just have to hop on a bike and feel the pain of my aching ass and my cramping colon as I spin round and round on that ugly yellow stationary bike for the millionth time. Angela and Laura are the only teachers we have left, as Danielle seems to have flown the coop, and Billie is on vacation until the end of August.
Despite her sweet Cindy Lou Who/Kelly Clarkson face, Angela is a very tough instructor who can totally kick your butt (and abs, and glutes and thighs) in 55 minutes. Having faced down cancer 4 times in her young life (she's only 31), she's fearless, and refuses to give quarter to old bloated ninnies like me who have weak knees, fat bellies and horrible hemeroids.
Add to this the stress of having a three month long Crohns flare, an early end to my husbands contract at Microsoft, a bored 8-year-old who only wants to eat junk food all day and play with his buddies (who are all wiling away the days in expensive sports camps), hubbys emergency root canal and subsequent consuming of mass quantities of percoset and beer, two editors throwing an assignment back in my face because "no one in our demographic reads anymore" and binging on three dozen homemade lemon vegan cookies, and you have my disastrous life this past week. My husband is a nervous, whining wreak, my son is pudgy and bored, and I am gripping onto the ledge of my sanity for all I am worth, with faith in God and hope for the future of the people I love. Oh, and the brakes are going out on the car, which has a cracked windshield and a broken drivers side window. We don't have the money to have the brakes fixed, so I can only assume we're going to end up in some terrible auto accident that will hopefully not be fatal one of these days.
Other than that, things are fine, and you?
One of the few bright spots this week was a freelance friend of mine, Dana, who hasn't seen me in a year was amazed at how much weight I've lost, and told me "You look great!"
So my 5-6 times a week workout has had some results. I am still 60 pounds too heavy, but I am much firmer than I was a year and a half ago. I also feel like the gals at the WIO gym are so supportive and caring that I've got friends who will listen and understand my dilemas no matter how ridiculous or awful they are. And I can look forward to the fall, when my son will be back in school for 5 hours a day, so I can take walks, plus there will be a new, beefier schedule at the gym, and more classes to choose from. Instructors will return from vacation and there will be new instructors, which is a blessing, as no two teachers teach alike, which is good for our muscles.
This whole year has been a beast, but as we fall into the final third of the annus horribilus, let us hope that something has been learned, ties deepened and that Gods plan, unknowable to us, has been unfolding, as it should.

4 comments:

Dana Neuts, Virtually Yourz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana Neuts, Virtually Yourz said...

Hey, sweetie. I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I wish there was something I could do to help. Just know I'm here if you need a friendly ear or a shoulder to cry on...and you do look FANTASTIC. I am so impressed. With all you have going on, you are making time to take care of yourself - ok, except for the cookies, but I just polished off half a box of Bottle Caps so who I am to talk. Anyway, making time for self-care is the number 1 way to get through the hard times and the sign of a true fighter. Hang in there, hon. I'm here for you!

Hugs,

Dana

DeAnn G. Rossetti said...

Thanks, Dana, I so appreciate the kind comments, especially coming from someone as accomplished and lovely as yourself.
You rock, amiga!
And yeah, I know....sugar is my main vice.
I used to love Bottlecap candy...and gummy bears, and milky way bars and pixie stix, etc....I can't eat any of that stuff nowdays.
But I can eat things I make for myself, which is always a bad idea. I need to have you over to share with me, so I don't eat them all myself!
DeAnn

Dana Neuts, Virtually Yourz said...

I guess you won't want to hear about my death by chocolate recipe then, eh? Yes, we should get together again soon and commiserate about how food should not take over our lives! Maybe you could bring your son over here to play video games (we have Wii and PS3) and we can enjoy an afternoon on my deck.