Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pills, Ills and Thrills

"in spite of illness, in spite even of the arch-enemy sorrow, one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ones" Edith Wharton.

"I've come to understand that I am as unfinished as the shoreline along the beach. If you stand on the sand and watch wave after wave, each leaves the beach looking just a little different. So it is with people---we are all unfinished and meant to transcend ourselves again and again throughout a lifetime." Joan Anderson

I totally agree with the above wise statements.
I discovered last week that I've lost three pounds in the last two months, which is a somewhat phyrric victory, as I've also been sick with Crohns flares nearly every day for the past three months. I've had to take naprosin and percoset to keep the pain at bay, and that always depresses me. But I've kept to my exercise regimen of working out 5-6 times a week and trying not to eat too much sugar, as well as consuming carbs in moderation. I've failed at that several times, mainly because I love sugar and bread, and, as my diet is so limited with the excising of dairy, eggs, nuts, mushrooms, onions and strawberries, I always feel that I need to have something to eat that has sweetness or some kind of flavor that I enjoy. Hubby brought home a loaf of fresh country bread from Great Harvest Bakery and I consumed half the loaf with Smart Balance Lite margerine and all fruit jam lickety split, within an hour. I was groaning as my gut expanded all that bread during balls and weights class, though....Janice and Carol had the last laugh as I nearly barfed on the gym floor.
Since my husbands contract ended Friday, our insurance is due to run out tomorrow, and I called the doctors office asking them to call in my Crohns meds ASAP so that I could still get a supply while the insurance was intact. Bartell Pharmacy refused to fill the prescription before my insurance runs out, though, and as my gastro doc is out of town for three weeks, the doctor on call said he doesn't feel that he can change the prescription so that I can get my meds for the insurance-covered price, which is affordable. Pentasa has no generic, and my other Crohns med is still expensive without insurance. Yet my husband kept hissing at me that the pharmacists had no right to know that we were without insurance in a few days. I contend that they'd find out anyway, when they contacted the company and were refused payment on my prescription. So I am screwed when my pills run out, as I can't afford to buy them without insurance. Of course, my son chose that moment to say he felt ill, and was certain he had a cold. I'm equally certain he is just riddled with allergy because he's been cuddling and caring for a scrofulous old cat with one eye that has lived in this neighborhood for years and is skinny enough to garner sympathy from an eight year old boy. Because Nick gave this old cat tuna and hot dogs and milk and whatever else he could procure from our pantry, the cat now thinks he belongs in our house. Eww. And Nick is all stuffed up, wheezing and sneezing with eyes all red and itchy because he can't seem to keep his hands off the ugliest cat in Christendom. So I had to deal with my husbands outrage at the pharmacy and my sons whining and sniffling while simultaneously trying to convince the pharmacist that I need my medications now. It was not pleasant.
However, I did find a tea set at a garage sale, and I plan on going to visit my good friend Janine this weekend, so there is light on the horizon, and the day isn't a total waste yet.
I am hoping to get a nice walk in on Monday, which is labor day, and I will have to walk to Nicks school on Tuesday just to schlep all his extra supplies to his classroom.
Here's to hoping for some bona fortuna coming up in September, when my stepfather turns 90!

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Sounds like times are tough for a lot of us right now. I'm sorry you can't get your meds. That's just not right. I feel for you. Nick and the kitty, sounds just like him. He just loves animals. So sweet. And how can you tell him No? Hope he feels bettter soon too. That's the pits that Jim's contract ran out early. Does he have anything in the works? Just remember, it could be worse, we could live in New Orleans! I sure hope it misses them.

DeAnn G. Rossetti said...

Hey Ronda, thanks for stopping by my blog!
Actually, Jim starts a six-week contract on Monday, so I guess we will be able to eat and have a roof over our heads through Halloween, but after that, who knows?
He has had more than a few interviews, but it seems hiring managers are very slow and extremely picky these days, and he hasn't been tagged for permanent employment yet...and of course, with each call that says "you didn't get the job" he gets more depressed.
But you are right, things could be worse, we could live in Galveston Texas and have had our homes ripped away by weather!